Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Amazon reviewers think this masterpiece sucks

Funny article from Salon about finding one-star reviews of classic books on Amazon. They look at the reviews who criticize great books like Jane Eyre, To Kill a Mockingbird, and even The Diary of Anne Frank.

Everyone's entitled to their own opinion, I suppose, but I certainly wouldn't want to associate with someone who one-starred Anne Frank. (True story: I judge people by the books they like. But really, who doesn't?)

I decided to do a little Great Plains version of the Salon story and looked up one-star reviews of My Antonia. Here's one:
This book is the worst piece of "literature" that I have ever had the misfortune of turning my nose up to. I fell asleep, 2 pages into the book. The next time, I managed a 3 page chapter, and fell asleep again. It took me several tries to read, and everytime I read this book, I felt a feeling of incredible tiredness and depression settle upon me. I hated every page of this book, and think that any good reviews given to it came from the worst lying scum to ever deface this planet we call Earth. I suggest not buying it. It isn't even worthy of the 1 star that I gave it.
Sad! I love My Antonia!

No comments: