Friday, February 26, 2010

A Willa Cather Winter

It seems like winter will never end, doesn't it? It's been by far the coldest, snowiest, windiest winter I can remember. (And I'm from Colorado!)

So far, Lincoln has broken its record for most consecutive days with at least a foot of snow on the ground. We also broke the record for fewest days that reach above 40 degrees between December and February. If you click through to the articles, you can see that there are several more records we're on the verge of breaking.

All of this winter business puts me in mind of Willa Cather, who wrote quite a bit about terrible Nebraska winters. One of my professors told us that the years Willa Cather lived in Nebraska were unusually cold and snowy, like this year, so maybe that's why. She wrote in My Antonia:"Winter lies too long in country towns; hangs on until it is stale and shabby, old and sullen." Oh, Willa Cather, I really know how you feel.

No comments: