Monday, November 23, 2009

Interview with Cormac McCarthy

The Wall Street Journal has a pretty interesting interview with Cormac McCarthy. He talks about the new film version of The Road, fatherhood, his writing process, upcoming work, and all kinds of other things.

An excerpt:

WSJ: Do you feel like you're trying to address the same big questions in all your work, but just in different ways?

CM: Creative work is often driven by pain. It may be that if you don't have something in the back of your head driving you nuts, you may not do anything. It's not a good arrangement. If I were God, I wouldn't have done it that way. Things I've written about are no longer of any interest to me, but they were certainly of interest before I wrote about them. So there's something about writing about it that flattens them. You've used them up. I tell people I've never read one of my books, and that's true. They think I'm pulling their leg.

No comments: